Export Marketing and Outreach Practice and Most Common Metrics
This video features Larry Collins, Director of Office of International Commerce, for Louisiana Economic Development
Desired Business Outcomes for Export Promotion
- Total value of new exports
- Share of SMEs that export
- Total number of jobs supported by increased export sales
Exporting Outreach and Marketing: Output Success Indicators
Metrics benchmark performance and drive improvements in the activities that a community undertakes. Following are the most common output metrics used to measure results for key categories of activities. Practitioners may use these as a starting point to guide the selection of metrics that matter for their efforts.
Identify companies that can export
- Number of identified exporters
- Number of unique companies contacted though BRE visits, surveys, meetings
Recruit companies to participate in export programs and services
- Number of company contacts (visits and phone) to discuss programs, events
- Number of referrals
Please reference the 2018 SIDO, Virginia SBDC, George Mason University and the Council of State Government’s Defining Success: Meaningful Metrics to Evaluate U.S. State International-Trade Programs for more information on performance metrics.