This section focuses on conducting a regional data assessment for export strategy.
The first step in strategy development is to conduct a regional data assessment.
Our process for conducting a Regional Data Assessment for Export Strategy has five steps:
- Step 1: Assess regional export performance
- Step 2: Understand the export promotion ecosystem, i.e., the programs and services that exist to support exporters
- Step 3: Understand the regional base of exporters and companies in internationally traded sectors
- Step 4: Gather data to prioritize export country markets
- Step 5: Identify service gaps and challenges faced by exporters
Brookings also offers guides on how to conduct the regional market assessment, as well as a set of interview guides and survey forms:
GCI Export Planning– Market Assessment Guide. This is a guide to writing an Export Market Assessment document (or Market Assessment section of an Export Plan). It is focused on secondary data but on page 2 describes the need for survey and interview data. The Guide describes the type of data that should be included in a Market Assessment document including sample tables and sample text for each type of data. The appendix includes a list of export data sources beginning on page 21.
Other Brookings resources (related to export market assessments):